You've gotta love Africa

You've gotta love Africa
Elder Chambers and Elder Kivaya in Oda

Going to Save the World

Going to Save the World
Elder Donovan Chambers

Monday, September 13, 2010

13 September 2010

Hey everyone. We had a great week here in the area. Alajo is quite different from my other areas. We have spent almost every day the exact same way. Going out and teaching a bunch of lessons. Elder Maloni and I are really learning patience trying to teach some of these people. Elder Maloni especially is learning. It's hard to help people read the Book of Mormon or the tracts when they read at a first grade level. For sure the number one difficulty in this mission is literacy. I'm going to make sure all my kids can read before they're 4 years old and make sure they read every week. People here go to school and learn to read and then never read their whole lives. Sometimes it's depressing. On saturday we had a baptism in the morning. We had to fill the font ourselves and we started like an hour and a half late. I'm always embarrassed to be late, but people here don't pay attention to time at all. Our candidate, Cecilia, and 3 others were all baptized and then confirmed sunday. On Sunday a few of the people we've been struggling to get to come to church came and more than a few continued to not come. We'll have to drop them and start focusing on getting good new people. It's always sad to see people who have a witness from the spirit to totally fail to act, but that's something you see a lot here. People just let little unimportant things get in the way of their salvation. I've really learned to always put God first in my life from seeing so many people just reject the blessings he has in store for them if they'd just exercise their faith. Anyway the other news in the apartment is Elder Maughn is out and Elder Maganda from Uganda is in. Elder Maughn wanted to go home, but I think he decided to stay at the last minute so I think he's now in a new area. I hope he manages to last because I think not going on a mission would be the worst decision he could make in his life. He'd regret it for the rest of his life. I really believe that for a guy in the church the worst things you could do would 1. not be married in the temple and 2. decide not to serve a full-time mission. Well I love you guys a ton. I'm really enjoying my new companion and new area, but missionary work is still as hard as ever and still as sweet. Love, Elder Chambers

No comments:

Post a Comment