You've gotta love Africa

You've gotta love Africa
Elder Chambers and Elder Kivaya in Oda

Going to Save the World

Going to Save the World
Elder Donovan Chambers

Monday, November 29, 2010

29 November 2010

Dear Family, I love you guys. I hope that all is well. I hope you enjoyed Thanksgiving. It's hard to believe that the next Thanksgiving I'll be enjoying it at home with all of you. This week was the usual mixedd bag of highs and lows of missionary work. Monday and Tuesday things were rough and tension was high between Elder Maganda and I. Wednesday it was at it's peak. I was doubting if i could last the next 6 weeks with the guy, but then things cooled down and Thursday through Sunday things were normal. I think if I work hard we won't have any more problems. What I think has helped is that the sun has been beating us severely. Today it's not so bright, but the last two weeks it's been hot. Seriously, you don't know how hot. On Tuesday I actually burned for like the first time in a year. I think it's been the hottest of my mission, and it has certainly been the hottest two weeks of Elder Maganda's life. He's from Uganda and hasn't felt sun like this. From all what I've heard from the Africans that aren't Ghanaian (the ones from Nigeria, Uganda, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Sierre Leone, South Africa, Ethiopia, etc.) is that nowhere is hot like Ghana. If there are places hotter I don't think people can live there. Anyway I think it's killing Elder Maganda. I don't know if you can have heat sickness, but if you can he does. Add to the sun the fact that I am working him hard (on Wednesday alone we taught 9 lessons) and by the end of the day he's easy to get along with. Aside from the sun and Elder Maganda this week was also Thanksgiving and baptisms. Thursday my Thanksgiving dinner was fried rice with chicken, egg and bread, and alvaro. This subsistence I've done a poorer than usual job of budgeting and that cost me most of what I had left, but it was very delicious. I love fried rice, and alvaro is my favorite. On Saturday we had a sweet baptism for Sheila Nyamadi, Momma Grace, and Lawrence Wornyo. They'll all be strong members. Also as a bonus the young women were having an activity after the baptism so they shared some waa-kye with us for breakfast before we started our proselyting. Wa-kye is like one of my favorite breakfasts in Ghana, the other is Hausa porridge with these things that are almost like donuts. Anyway I'm doing great. Hope you guys are too. Miss you. Love, Elder Chambers

No comments:

Post a Comment